2.22.2009

FEATURED ARTIST :: taylorseclectic

My apologies for the brief disappearance.. but now I'm back with an amazing artist feature! Taylor, of taylorseclectic has graciously set aside some time from her busy schedule to do this interview. If you haven't already discovered her etsy shop, it's time you do! You can't miss her undeniable style translated through her vivid and often gravity defying sculptures and jewelry pieces. Her work is incredible and truly unique.. I've never seen anything like it. And aside from being the fabulously skilled artist that she is, she's also a genuinely sweet person. I hope you get to know her and her work.

Thank you for sharing some of your thoughts, Taylor!

......................... the interview .........................

A random fun fact about yourself:
I lived in London for three years and started out life as a history major.

The first 3 random words that pop into your mind:
It depends on my mood…but probably words that shouldn’t be vocalized!

What's your favorite read of all time?
The Shipping News, No Country for Old Men, pretty much anything by Faulkner

Any guilty pleasures?
Every Wednesday night I’m glued to my tv watching Ghost Hunters. If there’s a marathon on, I’m in seventh heaven.

If you could be any place in the world right now, where would it be?
North Carolina on the beach. I’d love to live in a little house right on the beach.

(Ok, now onto business)
How would you describe your work?
Eclectic, colorful, full of life, and uniquely mine!

How long have you been at it?
I’ve been at it for about six years now, but only two years professionally. I’ve been working with paper for seven months.

So for you, is it an innate talent or practice makes perfect?
It’s a bit of both. Innately I have a creative mind, but it takes a lot of practice to get my ideas to transfer from my brain to the medium! Some of my ideas are still filtering through my brain.

From where/how do you find inspiration?
Well, when I run dry on ideas I like to flip through Architectural Digest and get inspiration from the shapes and textures. I also think of the ocean. I let my brain run loose and hope something good comes out on the other side.

What was your most memorable creative experience?
The first time I picked up paper and started working with it back in college. Every time I work with paper I’m amazed at what occurs.

What do you do when your inspiration and creativity is tapped?
I talk to my mother! She gets me back on track….cracks the whip, shall we say.

Any memorable low points that you've learned from?
Oh yes. I spent the better part of a year working on a clay sculpture, my ‘Sublime Change’ piece (pictured right). I hand sculpted every single brick, roof tile, floor board, hand plastered the walls, absolutely everything. I was afraid to lay the last brick for fear that I’d drop dead after doing so. Faulkner famously said when he was dying, ‘I’m in a battle with the wall paper, one of us has to go.’ (loosely quoted) That was me with this sculpture. When it was finished I couldn’t look at it. I had to hide it in the house for about three months before I could lay eyes on it again. Since then I have re-photographed the sculpture about ten times and it’s still not right….low point….again! I finally listed it for sale. I’m hoping someone will buy it so that I will win over the wallpaper!

What is your formula for success?
I’m still looking for it. If you have any advice, please feel free to share!

Was there a moment when you realized that you'd achieved success?
Success financially? Not yet. No where near it! But, success artistically and personally, every day I complete a piece or conceptualize a piece I feel successful as an artist.

Any advice for those having a bad case of artist woes?
I had a professor once who told us that if you are not doubting your work, then it will not progress. I think that artist woes are an innate part of being an artist. Woes help you to progress your work to different levels because you are constantly thinking of improving.

When not hard at work on your designs, what would we most likely find you doing?
If I had any time, then I would finish the book that I’ve been writing for months. If I had time outside of that, I’d be sculpting. If I had time outside of that, I’d be painting. So obviously, my life really is about art!

In a parallel universe where you are not an amazing artist, what would you be?
I’d fulfill my dream of being an amazing writer.

Anything else you'd like to add that I didn't ask about?
I am determined to become a successful artist. I love being an artist. Even though it’s a very difficult career, I hope to continue and not give in and take that high paying job that I could have somewhere!

What are some of your favorite etsy shops?

I hate to answer this question specifically because even the most comprehensive list would leave out some of my friends and their shops. I have many pages of favorites, all artisan work that I feel truly represents the creativeness of an artist and the talent that can be found on etsy.

What's at the top of your etsy wish list?
Too many to name! So if I had any money, I’d be broke anyways after taking a shopping trip through etsyland!

Any suggestions for my next featured artist?
I’d say either Greenman13 or mermaidsamongus…they both have very eclectic and fascinating work!


And last but not least, as a fun tribute to my inner psychologist, I had to throw in this final question....

What might this be?
Very confining and I don’t fit in the black circle!









.......................... end interview .........................


Taylor is currently having an awesome clearance sale in her etsy shop and is offering free shipping for all orders over $30! Can't beat that! She might also personally deliver your package and do an Irish jig for you if you're lucky. ;)


And stay tuned this week for my first metal clay project...

No comments: