8.15.2011

Featured Artist :: WiredbyBud


 It feels like an eternity since I last posted, but I'm getting back into the swing of things.  And what better way to kick things off than with a new featured artist!  I recently spotted Bud Bullivant's Etsy shop, WiredbyBud, and his work really caught my eye.  At first glance, I thought they were line drawings, but I soon discovered that each was a unique 3-dimensional wire sculpture!  I haven't really come across much work like this on Etsy and knew I had to spotlight it.  Let's meet the artist himself and get to know more of his one of a kind work!

.......................... the interview .........................

Please tell us a little bit about yourself and where you're from. 

I am an artist living in central Minnesota. After 24 years of teaching high school I resigned from my tenured position to become a full-time artist- sounds crazy doesn’t it! It has been an amazing journey. I divide my time between creating watercolor paintings (budbullivant.artistwebsites.com) and wire sculpture. My wife, Joan and two children, Emily and David are the greatest gifts in my life. They are my strongest critics and most passionate supporters. 


A random fun fact about yourself:
I am a storyteller. It’s a skill that was passed down to me from my parents. I tell stories from my adventures, experiences and my imagination with great enthusiasm and creative embellishment. My favorite stories come from my fishing, hunting and camping experiences. I approach my art in a similar fashion; with the goal of creating a piece that has a story to tell and that connects with your own story in some meaningful way. 


If you could be any place in the world right now, where would it be?
I’ve always wanted to go to Maine, or Alaska, or the Galapagos Islands. Over twenty years ago my wife and I backpacked through Europe. I’d love to be in Amsterdam, Paris or Florence again. I never got to see St. Mark’s Cathedral in Venice or the Last Supper in Milan… I’d just love to be traveling…anywhere really. 


Up to this point, what is something that you're truly proud of?
I am very proud of my career as an art teacher and the amazing students that I worked with over the years. I’m also very excited about this new chapter in my life.

How would you describe your work?
My wire sculptures are one of a kind, hand-made, three-dimensional drawings; simplifications of the intricate designs inspired by nature. They seem to delight viewers as their appearance changes depending on the angle from which they are being viewed. I find them interesting to make and intriguing to photograph. The three photos below are of one of my sunfish sculptures and you can see how the sculpture changes depending on the angle and the lighting.


I most often use discarded wire and found materials to create my sculptures. It is my hope that my work reflects my love of the natural world and that it is kind to the environment as well.

Any advice for those having a bad case of artist woes?
Being an artist is like fishing, even the bad days are better than the alternatives.
 
When not hard at work on your designs, what would we most likely find you doing?
There are a great many possibilities, but I would most likely be outdoors with my family.

In a parallel universe where you are not an amazing artist, what would you be?
I would be a writer and illustrator of wonderful childrens books. Actually, that may be a parallel dream in my current universe.



And, as a fun tribute to my inner psychologist, what might this be?  
It’s a night view out the porthole window of my spaceship in the parallel universe (it could be a black hole I suppose…)




.......................... end interview .........................

Bud, thank you for your time and keep up the amazing work!

2 comments:

Lynn Lunger said...

Wonderful pieces. Thank you for introducing me to Bud's work...I was not familiar with it. Off to check out his shop!

Ngan {eNVe Designs} said...

Aren't they great? Glad to introduce you to his work.