8.22.2011

Weekend Project :: Memorabilia Necklace


I was digging through my jewelry box Saturday and came across a bunch of my old letter jacket pins from high school.  Immediately, I thought of the idea to upcycle them into a charm necklace so I ran into my studio to whip it together.  After some bending and a few jump rings, voila!


I also added a few trinkets from the pieces of jewelry I wore back in high school, along with a couple new beads to balance it all out.  I stuck with the blue scheme because those were my high school colors (although they were slightly different shades of blue).  I was searching for some old necklaces that I handmade back then so that I could weave them into this piece, but couldn't find them anywhere.  I'll keep digging...


I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but I may revise it a little more... like clustering the charms more toward the bottom of the necklace so they're not so spread out.  That would make it more wearable for me.


This was super simple and quick, and makes for a meaningful one of a kind piece of jewelry!  I bet you could pull together some trinkets and breathe new life into them too!

What kind of upcycling projects have you done?  Please share!


6 comments:

Shea Lennon said...

What an awesome idea--I love how this turned out!! It seems like these pins usually sit in a box or drawer and never get a chance to be shown off--what a great way to change that!

Ngan {eNVe Designs} said...

Thanks, Shea! And it was totally fun and easy. Now I'm looking around for more trinkets to put together. :)

Lynn Lunger said...

Very neat idea! So very clever and fun!

Ngan {eNVe Designs} said...

Thank you, Lynn!

Jen @ A Touch of Lovely said...

Awesome idea! I'm going to have to try something like this myself--maybe with some kiddie trinkets! I've been trying to come up with a fun mommy necklace idea. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Valerie said...

That is such a good idea. I have oodles of pins from various activities and they just sit in a drawer in my jewelry box which seems kind of sad. What a cool way to keep memories current!