3.09.2009

FEATURED ARTIST :: f2images

This week's featured artist is the lovely Emiko of f2images. I am certain you're already familiar with the amazing talent that she and husband Mark pour into their photographic art. I was immediately captivated by their work the second I discovered their etsy shop this past year. To me, their photos have a certain unmistakable quality to them.. reminiscent of beautiful dreams or memories.. overflowing with a mixture of emotion, thought, and sincerity. I challenge you not to be moved by their images.

I personally own Pieces (pictured right) and I just LOVE it.

Be sure to check out her special offer below! Thank you for your time, Emiko! :)



......................... the interview .........................

The first 3 random words that pop into your mind:
Cat, camera, sushi

What's your favorite read of all time?
I'm ashamed to say, I'm not a big bookworm. Some of my favorite magazines are Photoshop User, Rangefinder, and Marie Claire, Real Simple, Lucky, and How.

Any guilty pleasures?
Any form of chocolate....mmm....chocolate.


If you could be any place in the world right now, where would it be?
California

(Ok, now onto business)
How would you describe your work?
Experimental. I like to try a LOT of different things photographically. I wish I was more focused...no pun intended ;)

How long have you been at it?
Since early high school ( 19 years...gulp), I've been very enamored with photography.

So for you, is it an innate talent or practice makes perfect?
A little of both. I use a lot of Photoshop, it's definitely a blend of knowing what you want, and being able to execute it. Sometimes successfully...sometimes not!

From where/how do you find inspiration?
Literally everywhere, fashion, art, other photography, nature, graphic design, I could go on.

What was your most memorable creative experience?
Probably starting my Etsy shop. Didn't know how it would go. Especially with SOOOO much beautiful photography on Etsy....didn't know how my little shop would fair, but it's turning out better than I'd hoped.

What do you do when your inspiration and creativity is tapped?
First, just stop, and chill. Try to do regular non-creative things. Then I may pick up some magazines, look at ads, take random drives around town, and just observe. Usually it doesn't take long to be back in the swing of things.

Any memorable low points that you've learned from?
Not really, I've been very fortunate to have a network of friends on Etsy that make it easy to focus on the good.

What is your formula for success?
Do I have success?...lol I don't know. I just try to create images that hopefully connect with people on an emotional level. Although I admire the photography of so many others, I try to have original ideas. I've done a little advertising on blogs/websites/magazines, but honestly don't know how fruitful the little paid ad spots are? I have gotten wholesale business through Trunkt, which was super cool.

Was there a moment when you realized that you'd achieved success?
Just recently reached my 100 sales mark. For me it means so much. It's only been through the love from others either kindly including me in treasuries, or blog features that this has happened.

Any advice for those having a bad case of artist woes?
Try to see/think outside of your craft. Inspiration can truly come from anywhere, and if you allow yourself to be open to that, you will grow beyond your own expectations.

When not hard at work on your designs, what would we most likely find you doing?
Either working (at Kohls), chilling with my hubby and four cats, watching a movie. Downtime is critical for keeping creativity fresh.

In a parallel universe where you are not an amazing artist, what would you be?
Definitely a comedian. I'm a huge goofball and love to make people laugh.

Anything else you'd like to add that I didn't ask about?
I truly appreciate the support I've gotten from other Etsy shop owners. I encourage you all to buy Etsy or handmade or local, whenever possible. It means so much.

What are some of your favorite etsy shops?

I'd like to preface this by saying that this IS the impossible task. So I will list a few that I've recently favorited items in. Kaylim (so glad she's featured seller!), Lillyella, The Peach Tree, June Shin, Elliwill, Aliette, Kareemrizk, Heirloom08, and Elle Moss. I could keep going. I could easily blow my paycheck on Etsy!

What's at the top of your etsy wish list?
This glass memory locket

Any suggestions for my next featured artist?
Also tough question. So much talent on Etsy. Here are some thoughts in no particular order: The Photo Zoo, Jennifer Morris Beads, The Peach Tree, Sarah Seven, Kathi Roussel, June Shin, Emma Lamb, Esther Coombs.

And, as a fun tribute to my inner psychologist... "what might this be?"
Could it be the dot of possibility. Open to endless interpretation, with no wrong answer, just different perspectives.






.......................... end interview .........................

Emiko is graciously offering 30% off ANYTHING in her beautiful shop (except sale items)!!! Just mention "Enve Blog" in the Message to Seller when checking out. 30% refund will be refunded to you via Paypal. Now is your chance to adorn your home or office with some truly unforgettable images! (this offer is only good for one week so act fast!)

5 comments:

Catherine Ivins said...

Yeah! love this interview- love this shop and hey Emiko and Mark- you guys are adorable together!

xo- Cat

Cheryl said...

great job!

l'actrice said...

Thanks for the great interview! Such a cool store!

June Shin said...

Such a great interview! I love their store and am a proud owner of one of their block prints.

knack said...

so glad to learn more about this very talented girl!!

I just received my two prints the other day in the mail and they are just fantastic!