4.10.2009

FEATURED ARTIST :: fringe

This week's featured artist is the dynamite Dennice of fringe. Her shop was actually the very first shop I hearted when I first discovered etsy almost a year ago. And to this day, I still have my eye on this twist of fate cowl (which also happens to be the very first item I ever hearted on etsy.. one that I kept hearting, but it kept getting sold). One day, that darling piece will be mine! I'm so delighted to have gotten to know Dennice a little better through this etsy/blogger world. I equate this with knowing a celebrity.. I mean, one of her amazing pieces was featured on the Martha Stewart Show!!! She is an inspiration and equiped with a fabulous sense of humor. I hope to be like her when I grow up. ;)

Dennice, thank you for taking the time to share some wise words with us!

......................... the interview .........................

A random fun fact about yourself:
I can draw Snoopy, no matter what his emotional state or activity is. Elated, perplexed, lovesick, thoughtful, inspired, sleuthing, in with the wrong crowd …you get the idea.

The first 3 random words that pop into your mind:
I like pie. (If you know me, you’ll understand)

What's your favorite read of all time?
There are too many to choose just one. Can’t do it. I have a long list of favorite reads of all time.

Any guilty pleasures?

When it comes to pleasures, I make it a point to not feel guilty about them.

If you could be any place in the world right now, where would it be?

There’s nowhere else I’d rather be right now than right here. I’m here because I truly want to be, and I won’t spend time wishing I were elsewhere. In the words of Edna from The Incredibles, “I live in the now, darling.” Never mind that I’m quoting an animated character, those are words to live by!

(Ok, now onto business)
How would you describe your work?
I’m a fiber artist. I create my own designs. I design scarves, cowls, shrugs, capelets, shawls, wraps, lariats and other items. I have a wide range of fashion styles from high drama couture to urban prairie to appeal to everyone, I hope. I feel that accessories make the outfit, and are a perfect form of personal expression. I make my creations with the desire that whoever wears one of my items will feel self-confident and divine.

How long have you been at it?
I learned to knit and crochet at the ripe old age of four. I’ve been on Etsy for a little over two years.

So for you, is it an innate talent or practice makes perfect?
In my opinion, any skill, talent or gift needs practice and will evolve according to each artist’s life experiences and maturing.

From where/how do you find inspiration?
I find inspiration everywhere I look. Nature and music are two major inspirations.

What was your most memorable creative experience?
In fourth grade, I made a life-size 3-dimensional Big Bird. You know, the Sesame Street character. I believe a song was written about it. You may have heard it...Yellow by Coldplay.

What do you do when your inspiration and creativity is tapped?
I don’t try to force it. It never stays away for too long so I try to make the best of the break. I just wait for it to come back again.

Any memorable low points that you've learned from?
I’m telling ya, Edna again, “I never look back, darling. I live in the now.”

What is your formula for success?
Nobody who wants an easy formula for success likes this answer, but the answer is hard work. Very hard work, confidence and persistence. Have a vision of what you want and go for it. Keep your talent true and unique to you.

Was there a moment when you realized that you'd achieved success?
How lovely to be asked this question. I view success as happiness and being true to myself. So in that respect, I feel I’ve been successful. I love what I do and that equals success, in my opinion. Happiness and satisfaction comes from doing what you love to do. You only have one chance in this life so make sure you spend some time doing what you truly love to do.

Any advice for those having a bad case of artist woes?
Artist woes? My advice is to snap out of it. Take action. Figure out what the problem is and fix it, improve it, change what you’re doing in order to make it work. Be your own biggest fan. Have confidence in yourself and your work. No whiners! And perhaps, examine your diet and go for walks.

When not hard at work on your designs, what would we most likely find you doing?
I spend most of my free time with my family. I just love them to bits!



In a parallel universe where you are not an amazing artist, what would you be?

The next James Bond.

Anything else you'd like to add that I didn't ask about?
I’d like to add that I’m very honored to be chosen for your featured artist. Thank you so much. You are a complete delight and a very gifted artist. A winning combination indeed! I wish you continued success and every happiness.
(I was totally caught off guard by this! Thank you for the lovely and kind words, Dennice. You are stellar!)


What's at the top of your etsy wish list?
Do you mean what features do I wish Etsy would add? I would love to be able to move the items around in my shop. Also, I would like to be able to have the same item in more than one section in my shop.

Any suggestions for my next featured artist?
My suggestions for your next featured artist would be to have a sense of humor, be yourself, and check for typos.



And, as a fun tribute to my inner psychologist... "what might this be?"
Well, Doc, isn’t that the black hole that Bugs Bunny always has handy for a quick escape?








.......................... end interview .........................


And have a happy (Good) Friday and a pleasant Easter weekend!!!

3 comments:

lillyella said...

ah what a fabulous interview! I read every word of it and it was great. So wonderful to learn more about dennice, she is such a great artist and all around amazing person. I laughed out loud to many of her answers as I can totally relate, or would have said the same thing. She was one of the first shops I hearted on Etsy as well and am glad to have gotten to know her a little better during my first year here on etsy.
Thanks for the great interview, Ngan and keep up the good work, dennice!

Brenda said...

I adore Dennice and fringe originals was one of the very first shops I hearted as well! I will admit to sneaking a read of your wonderful interview at work, and was caught laughing out loud over "I like pie." :)

Dennice is an incredibly talented fiber artist! Even though I knit, I treated myself to one of her beautiful cowls and just adore it beyond belief. I can't recommend her work highly enough!

Unknown said...

great interview! i love dennice, she's amazing! i am lucky enough to own a few of her wonderful pieces & call her my friend.